Website Adventure Scientists
Platform Community Senior Manager Job Description
(in-office or remote)
Science-based solutions hold our greatest hope for long-term coexistence with nature. While government and industry have made meaningful strides in tackling urgent global environmental challenges, efforts have been constrained by a lack of funding access to the right data and the resources to generate public support. Adventure Scientists serves as an invaluable partner to researchers in the planning and execution of large-scale field data collection projects around the world. These partnerships have yielded groundbreaking environmental discoveries, aided accountability across supply chains, and has catalyzed focused initiatives that will positively impact our planet for generations.
Adventure Scientists’ network of trained volunteers, who come from the outdoor community, enables scientists to ask broader questions, creates compelling storytelling opportunities, and generates connections to impact driven funders eager to fund innovation. Through participation in our projects, thousands of volunteers gain lasting experience in the STEM fields, and agency in addressing what can feel like overwhelming environmental challenges.
We envision a world in which solutions to environmental issues are limited only by the ability to keep asking the right questions.
Our Commitment to Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (EIJ)
Adventure Scientists strives to create an environment where everyone can feel included, valued, and safe engaging with our work, regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, age, past or current military service, marital status, parental status, religion, level of formal education, socio-economic status, immigration status, or other identity.
How You Will Contribute to Adventure Scientists
Adventure Scientists is looking for an experienced online community administrator to manage a digital meeting-place for our scientists and adventurers, internally referred to as “The Platform.”
“The Platform” connects scientists with skilled adventurer volunteers to facilitate data collection. Adventurers will post their availability, expeditions, skills, and interests. Scientists will post their field data needs and, through “The Platform”, recruit adventurers with unique skills and availability to meet those needs. With this tool, we anticipate being able to serve many more scientists, and engage many more volunteers in data collection.
If you’re an experienced online community administrator with a passion for science, conservation, and outdoor adventure, and the desire to lead a dynamic, evolving project, we’d love to talk with you. You will report to the Head of Strategic Partnerships.
Launch (6 months)
- Coordinate with “The Platform” engineering team to complete development.
- Design workflows across multiple pieces of software; develop strategies to make the maintenance of “The Platform” efficient.
- Manage an outside marketing firm to ensure “The Platform” is successfully launched with balance to both the volunteer and scientific communities.
- Partner with Project Creation (PC) and a marketing firm to 1) build an initial base of at least 10 projects, and 2) integrate “The Platform” as a tool to point scientists toward additional service offerings.
- Partner with Project Management (PM) and a marketing firm to conduct targeted recruitment to build an initial base of at least 200 volunteers with broad geographic reach and varied outdoor skills.
- Lead Platform Committee meetings.
- Facilitate beta testing and oversee a successful product launch.
- Partner with Project Management to transfer active Adventure Scientists projects into the platform.
- Provide support for scientists and adventurers by screening projects and expeditions for fit and quality, answering questions, providing feedback, troubleshooting challenges, etc.
- Manage and improve workflows across multiple systems (AppSmith, Salesforce, GoogleMaps); minimize duplicative work.
- Respond promptly and appropriately to requests for assistance, questions, and reports of inappropriate behavior; enforce adherence to the terms of service.
- Partner with PC to draw out opportunities for larger projects from “The Platform”
- Meet regularly with Marketing to share stories of success from “The Platform”; facilitate capture of media/storytelling content.
- Monitor and report on usership to guide marketing efforts. Ensure that the two communities remain balanced with one another.
- Partner with PM, PC, and Marketing to ensure a steady and sustainable increase in usership. We are aiming for a minimum of 50 projects and 1,000 volunteers by the end of 2023.
- Identify areas for improvement and facilitate the continual development and strategic direction of “The Platform”.
- Experience in online community management
- Experience organizing and managing workflows; ability to iterate and improve on them
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills with ability to craft thoughtful, inclusive communications (external and internal)
- Demonstrated success in customer service, sales or recruiting experience is a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in Google Suite; familiarity with Salesforce NPSP and AppSmith is a plus
- Experience extracting and synthesizing analytics data
- Proven strategic and innovative thinker with the ability to integrate user feedback; design or systems thinking experience is a plus
- Demonstrated creativity and ability to problem solve
- Desire to join and assist in the growth of a fast paced, young, dynamic nonprofit organization
- A strong bias towards action, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working with the adventure and scientific communities (citizen science is a plus)
- Ability to communicate directly and clearly
Work Schedule and Compensation
This is a full-time position and can be remote or based at Adventure Scientists’ headquarters in Bozeman, MT. This position may require travel and occasional work on weekends or at night should also be expected.
Salary for this role ranges from $60,000 – $70,000, dependent on experience. We offer a generous and flexible benefits package, including healthcare, retirement plan with employer matching, personal and professional development fund opportunities, generous paid time off, paid parental leave, student loan relief, and paid powder days. Additional perks include part-time work-from-home opportunities, sabbaticals for long-tenured employees, and access to pro deals. Plus, we have a dog-friendly office, so you are invited to bring your best friend to work!
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please visit our website to apply. We are committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all applicants. If you need reasonable accommodations at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
To apply for this job please visit www.adventurescientists.org.