Website Stanford University
The Online Community Engagement Manager is responsible for developing and overseeing the growth and engagement strategy for Stanford students and alumni on the Stanford Alumni Groups platform, with an initial focus on career and industry groups. This person will strategically build growth and engagement, while ensuring that Stanford alumni online communities are a safe, inclusive and trusted place where alumni can connect with and learn from each other, while building affiliation with the global Stanford alumni community and the university. This position will work with Stanford Alumni Association (SAA) and campus partner staff.
In this role you will:
- Lead online community-building on the Stanford Alumni Groups platform, with a focus on growing and developing alumni professional communities.
- Manage development and implementation of online community strategy; including how to engage alumni and students and fundamentally impact their relationship with one another and the university.
- Recruit, train and support alumni volunteers to create and cultivate online communities.
Identify and socialize online community management standards, best practices and engagement tactics, based on peer, industry and alumni digital community benchmarks.
- Be active in social listening and monitoring across communities and make recommendations to help maximize online community building efforts.
- Manage constituent complaints and reputational issues and other high priorities.
- Partner with internal stakeholders including program teams, service teams, IT, and campus partners to achieve program goals and to ensure coordination.
- In partnership with the Alumni Communities team, evolve SAA approach to supporting online communities, including training and product enhancements.
- Maintain a commitment to promoting and supporting an environment of diversity and inclusion.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated passion for and experience in building, moderating, and managing online communities (e.g. Slack, Reddit, Facebook Groups, Discord, LinkedIn).
- Demonstrated experience in working with volunteers that support online community engagement.
- Ability to leverage current and future trends to help maximize online community engagement.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to represent the university professionally both internally and externally.
- Strong interpersonal, team, problem solving and leadership skills; tact and flexibility in working with diverse population groups.
- Proven track record collaborating across matrixed organizations to drive results.
- Ability to listen, translate concepts across different groups, and collaborate.
- Lead discussions, training, etc, and implement projects that have shared value.
- Ability to be strategic and tactical, creating the conditions for engagement to thrive.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft and Google Suites) and the ability to learn new systems.
Why Stanford is For You:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Stanford University is one of the world’s premier academic and research institutions, devoting tremendous intellectual and physical resources toward the betterment of humanity. As a major Bay Area employer, Stanford seeks people committed to excellence and to improving our world. In turn, the university is committed to supporting its employees as they develop their careers and enrich their lives. We believe Stanford’s future success will be shaped by the diverse perspectives, unique experiences, and inclusive culture of its community.
Founded in 1892 by the first graduating class, the Stanford Alumni Association (SAA) has a mission to reach, serve and engage all Stanford alumni and students; to foster a lifelong intellectual and emotional connection between the university and its graduates; and to provide the university with goodwill and support. SAA believes that diversity and excellence go hand-in-hand and hires individuals with a commitment to working effectively with colleagues and alumni from diverse backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit careersearch.stanford.edu.