By Shannon DiGregorio Abram, Relationship Manager at The Community Roundtable.
Welcome to August! This summer is flying by and we are hard at work on some exciting community management programs for the Fall – most notably the first Community Manager Salary Report, slated for a Fall 2014 release! The research is currently open and we’d love to here from you. The survey is short (about 15 minutes) and we are looking for community professionals representing all community job titles and types of communities.
There were so many great articles this week – enjoy this news roundup:
9 Problems Keeping Your Online Community from Being Great – I’m not one for lengthy introductions, the title of the post brought you here, so let’s dive in. Below are the aforementioned 5 problems, and I’ve attempted to provide a solution to help you remedy the problems. Would love to hear more from you in the comments or on Twitter.
The New Visionaries: Richard Martin on the Peloton – Richard Martin wrote a series of posts in which he characterized people working together productively as being like the bicycle racing phenomenon of the peloton: the main group of riders that conserve energy by riding close together. The final in his series — Peloton formations distilled — has links to the other, earlier posts.
It’s complicated: Why we need a new etiquette for handling what’s private and what’s public – It’s tempting to see private vs. public as something binary or black and white, but there is a whole universe of human behavior expressed through services like Twitter and Facebook that falls somewhere between those two extremes, and we need to figure out how to handle it properly.
Sharing isn’t caring: stop being fooled by collaborative consumption – Labeling companies such as AirBnB, Uber and TaskRabbit as “the sharing economy” is one of the finest and most deceptive bits of branding of the past few years.
TheCR Network Sneak Peek: July 2014 Wrap Up – Summer is just flying by inside TheCR Network. I exercised some work-life balance and took a fully unplugged vacation this month thanks to my supportive team who held down the fort while I was out of the office. And while we decrease the number of virtual live events we host due to vacation season the network has been quite busy in the forums. Here are a few samples of discussions, collaboration, and knowledge sharing that occurred inside TheCR Network this month.
The Innovation Turbo-Charge: How To Train The Brain To Be More Creative – The data is overwhelming: creativity is far and away the most important skill needed to “thrive” (and this word is being used in opposition to “survive” here) in today’s world.
5 Ways That Systems of Engagement Bring Out Our Full Social Selves – Technology has a way of sucking the humanity right out of us. Consider how we describe, design and deploy ‘enterprise 2.0′ and work system technologies in our organizations: When we talk about technology systems, we talk about machines, platforms, inputs and outputs. We forget about values, emotion, flourishing, meaning and purpose.
A Day In The Life Of A B2B Community Manager – Somewhere, in the stillness of the night, an online community manager rolls over in bed, reaches for his iPad, and checks to see if anyone in his online community needs help, if there are messages that need attention and to make sure the site is running fine.
Bringing Community Management to the Boardroom – Community management has been around for at least 20 years – ever since the first AOL chat rooms and newspaper forum message boards made their debut in the 1990s. Fan sites and gaming rooms were also early incarnations of online communities. Back then the community manager moderated posts by the thousands on a daily basis.
New Community and Social Media Jobs:
- Social Media Manager for 3 month contract job! – The Creative Group 2,120 reviews – Norcross, GA 30092
- Business Systems Lead – Community Manager – Firmenich – Princeton, NJ
- Communications Specialist – Federal Aviation Administration – Washington, DC
- Community Manager – SIR Corp – Greater Toronto Area, ON
- Stakeholder & Community Relations Advisor – Progress Energy – Calgary, AB
- Senior Social Collaboration Analyst – Aon – Chicago, IL
- Knowledge Manager – KCM Solutions – San Bruno, CA
- Junior Social Media Manager (Internship) (Montreal, Quebec) – Groupe Hashtag Média – Montréal, QC
- Selections Editor & Community Manager / New York – Bookspan – New York, NY
- Community Manager – go2gether – Vancouver, BC
- Customer Care Online Community Manager – Aquent Staffing – San Francisco, CA
- Customer Support & Community Manager – DODOcase – San Francisco, CA
- Community Manager – Online – 125th Street Business Improvement District – New York, NY
- Senior Manager, Organized Play Promotions – Wizards Of The Coast – Renton, WA
- Senior Manager, Organized Play Promotions Job – Hasbro – Renton, WA
- Community & Social Media Manager – PumpUp Inc. – Toronto, ON
Community Managers – Declare Your Value!
Have you taken the Community Manager Salary Survey 2014 yet? Your insights into your role are invaluable as we document and define community manager best practices across industries. The survey is short (15 minutes) and we’d love to hear from you. Take the survey now.