What is Generative AI
Generative AI is a type of artificial intelligence (AI) that can create new content, such as text, images, or music. Two common generative AI models are ChatGPT and Bard. Generative AI models are trained on large datasets of existing content, and they learn to identify patterns and relationships in that data. Once they are trained, generative AI models can be used to create new content that is similar to the content they were trained on. You may have seen examples of AI generatde art on social media channels, and music that contains elements generated by AI is now eligible to win Grammy Awards.
We aren’t going to be winning any Grammys over here, but we are interested in how community managers can use generative AI to scale and accelerate the work they do.
Why Does it Matter to Community Managers
Overall, generative AI has a wide range of potential applications for online community managers, including:
- Assisting with member support: Generative AI can help you identify common support issues and craft an approach for increasing member satisfaction. First define the problem statement, and use generative AI to brainstorm possible solutions, including a table of the pros and cons for each approach.
- Automate repetitive tasks: Generative AI helps you automate tasks such as moderating comments, generating FAQs, and creating social media posts. This can free up community managers to focus on more strategic and creative work – like taking ideas from generative AI and turning them into meaningful content and programs, and strengthening members relationships.
- Providing insights into community behavior: Generative AI can be used to analyze community data and identify trends and patterns. You can look at trends in member behavior and content consumptions, look for gaps where new content or programs are needed, and use data to create narrative-based dashboards.
- Creating engaging content: Generative AI can be used to create new content such as blog posts, articles, and videos. As with all generated content, be sure to treat any copy as a first draft, and always proof and edit for clarity, bias, and accuracy.
- Personalizing the community experience: Generative AI can be used to personalize the community experience for each member. This can be done by recommending content, suggesting friends, and providing targeted support.
Generative AI is still emerging and evolving but community managers should be thinking about how they can thoughtfully deploy it to scale and accelerate their work. Now is the time to research how generative AI can benefit you and your community program.
Want to learn more about the impact of AI on online community management? Check out this post Four AI Prompts for Community Managers or search “AI” in the search tool above! You can also download a free copy of the 2023 State of Community Management research to learn more about current technology and tool trends.