Generative AI (like ChatGPT and Bard) can help community managers in a number of ways. As we discussed in the SOCM 2023 and Four AI Prompts for Community Managers, ChatGPT (or any generative AI) is not designed to do your work, but to accelerate your work. You still need the ideas, you just need to learn how to express them as prompts.
We like to like of generative AI as another team member to help us generate ideas, draft copy (that we heavily edit!) and research ideas or topics that we are learning about. But that’s just a tip of what community managers can do with generative AI.
If you need help getting started, here are four ways generative AI can help community managers accelerate their work.
Four Ways Generative AI Can Help Community Managers
- Automating repetitive tasks: Generative AI can be used to automate tasks such as moderating comments, generating FAQs, and creating social media posts. This can free up community managers to focus on more strategic and creative work.
- Providing insights into community behavior: Generative AI can help analyze community data and identify trends and patterns. This can help you understand how your community is interacting with content and programs, drive decision making for new content, and help identify areas where community members are struggling so you can improve the user experience.
- Creating engaging content: Generative AI can be used to create engaging content such as blog posts, articles, and videos. This can help community managers attract new members to their communities and keep existing members engaged.
- Personalizing the community experience: Generative AI can be used to personalize the community experience for each member. This can be done by recommending content, suggesting friends, and providing targeted support.
Here are some specific examples of how generative AI is being used by community managers today:
- Reddit: Reddit uses generative AI to moderate comments and identify spam. This helps to keep the community safe and welcoming for all users.
- Stack Overflow: Stack Overflow uses generative AI to generate FAQs and answer questions. This helps to provide users with quick and accurate answers to their questions.
- HubSpot: HubSpot uses generative AI to create blog posts and social media posts. This helps to attract new leads and keep existing customers engaged.
As generative AI technology continues to develop, we will see even more ways in which it can be used to help community managers accelerate the work they do, allowing more time for creating meaningful relationships with members.
Want to learn more about the impact of AI on online community management? Check out this post Four AI Prompts for Community Managers or search “AI” in the search tool above!