The Community Roundtable’s External Community Manager Fundamentals Course for new external community managers outlines the scope of the external community manager role and provides prescriptive approaches for successful community management.
Who Should Register?
This program is targeted at External Community Managers who:
- Are brand new to their role and need to get quickly up to speed.
- Have been in their role for 1-2 years and want a refresher on role fundamentals and techniques for member engagement.
Participants will learn:
- The role and value of community management
- How to prepare a strategy that sets your community up for success
- How to profile community members
- The pillars of community moderation
- How content and community programming help members find value and make connections
- Good practices for starting new communities
- Member engagement tips and techniques
- The link between online communities and other social channels
- How to measure community performance
What is the course format?
This course material is intended for self-paced learning that can easily be completed in 4-6 weeks. Each session includes a short video lesson and an accompanying worksheet to practice real world application.
Session 1: Definition of Community & Community Management
Characteristics of online communities and the role and scope of community management
Session 2: Community Strategy
Preparing, communicating and acting on your community strategy
Session 3: Profiling Community Member Segments
Understanding your members and how they collaborate to plan for strong engagement in your community
Session 4: Building Moderation, Escalation & Crisis Guidelines
The pillars of community moderation that help create the culture, tone and outcomes of a productive community
Session 5: Content & Program Strategy
Using content and programming to help members find value and make connections
Session 6: Starting Your Community
Key practices for starting communities and planning for the first few weeks
Session 7: Building Engagement & Value
Understanding, defining and creating valuable member engagement opportunities in your community
Session 8: Integrating Social Channels
The link between member engagement on social media channels and in your online community
Session 9: Measurement & Reporting
Tracking, measuring and communicating community performance
Those who complete the course successfully receive a Certificate of Completion.