By Amy Turner, The Community Roundtable
Explaining what you do as a Community Manager is never easy – and it turns out, it’s likely to change as your community matures. That’s right – not every community manager does the same thing, and all community manager roles evolve as their community does. (We can see you nodding along at your desk – this is one of those “I knew it!” type facts that confirms a long held belief in the community community.)
Ted McEnroe (our resident research expert) dove deeper into this theme in his latest in a series of posts from the State of Community Management 2016 survey. We asked respondents how they spent their time among the five skill sets of our Community Skills Framework – Engagement, Content, Strategic, Technical and Business.
We found subtle but noteworthy changes when we compared the skills of Stage 1, relatively immature communities, with those that scored in Stage 3 or 4 on our Community Maturity Model. And, as with so many things in community, the evolution of community manager roles is non-linear. It will happen as your community grows and develops – it’s just not a matter of time. You can read Ted’s full post here.
TheCR Connect 2016: Community Takes Center Stage
Need further reason to join TheCR Network and attend TheCR Connect (a workshop exclusively for members of TheCR Network)? Check out our list of featured topics and represented organizations already lined up – and the list will keep growing!
Things We Are Reading this Week:
New Social Media and Community Jobs
- Global Community Manager, Pokemon GO – Ninantic Labs – San Francisco, CA
- Manager, Social Media – Netflix Originals – Beverly Hills, CA
- Product Manager of Community – Flipboard – Palo Alto, CA
- Community Manager – RISE Residential, LLC – Laramie, WY
- Social Media Community Manager – PetSmart – Phoenix, AZ
- Community Manager – DrivingSales – Sandy, UT
- Community Manager – EROAD – Tualatin, OR
- Community Manager – Relay for Life – Williston, VT
- Consumer Engagement/Social Media Manager – VTech Kids – Arlington Heights, IL
- Social Media Manager – Authentic Brands Group – New York, NY